Agulhas National Park
This historic house, located within the greater rest camp area, has been carefully restored and is situated on a peninsula to the west of the Suiderstrand enclave (of private residents) and with the sea comprising about three-quarters (270º) of the view from this house, it has an awesome location.
This house and farm used to belong to PK Albertyn who bought it from Mike van Breda in 1898 and in the same year a cottage was built for Mrs Albertyn as a birthday gift. The small bay to the west of the house reminded her of a book she had read, called the ‘Blue Lagoon’ and she called the property ‘The Lagoon’. When the children got married rooms were added on both sides of the original cottage. This portion of the park was incorporated into Agulhas National Park in 2001.
This small camp is located 10,3km from the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse. The camp was placed and designed to meet high environmental standards and according to the ‘touch-the-earth-lightly’ principles by which, inter alia, development was limited to disturbed sites.
Accommodation comprises four two-bed and four four-bed self-catering chalets. The four bed units comprise two separate bedrooms each with own bathroom (shower and toilet) en-suite.
These historic cottages lie on one of the oldest farms in the Strandveld and was established in 1742. Matthys (Rostok) Johannes Lourens (Lorenz) received grazing rights here on 21 February 1757 and in 1836 the Cape Government registered the land formally in his name (Matthys Lourens). The farmstead consists of four typical Strandveld buildings built according to the typical vernacular style. The oldest houses probably dates back to the middle of the 18th century while the youngest to 1939/40.
The cottages have been carefully restored for the modern day visitor. The name originates from the skull of a Black Rhino which was found in this area many years ago and is still being preserved in the Springfield Estate museum.
- The facility comprises three separate cottages which can be booked separately, of which two accommodate four guests (two bedrooms with one bathroom) and one two person cottage.
- Energy requirements are provided by solar panels for lighting and gas for cooking, hot water & refrigeration.
Bergplaas, which is located on the northern foothills of Soetanysberg, was originally a stock post in the 1860’s on the farm Ruigtefontein and the original house was built in the mid 1950’s. In 1979/80 it was completely destroyed by fire and rebuilt in a more modern style that is still evident today. This land was acquired by SANParks in 2000, being the first acquisition for the newly established Agulhas National Park.
The guesthouse offers a relaxing country setting with endless views of the surrounding countryside. Accommodation at the guest house consists of 5 bedrooms. Four rooms have en suite bathrooms either with shower or bath and toilet. One bathroom has been adapted for mobility challenged.
The guest house is situated 36km from the Agulhas Cape Lighthouse off the Struisbaai / Elim road.
The guest house is located 36km inland from the the Park's Office and Cape Lighthouse and sleeps 10 people.
Rietfontein is one of the original and oldest Strandveld farms. ‘Rietfontein aan Zandberg’ was awarded to Petrus Arnoldus Gildenhuyzen as a stock post in the late 1700’s. In 1839 the Cape Government registered the land in the name of Dirk Gysbert van Breda.
The facility lies on the southern slope of Soetanysberg from which the coast can be viewed.
This historic homestead called “Langhuis” (or ‘long house’) was carefully reconstructed after it was destroyed by fire in 2003.
- The homestead comprises of three two-bed separate units with bathroom (toilet & shower) and kitchen facilities.
- There is also a barn with one two-bed unit with bathroom (toilet & shower) and there is also a large adjacent room where group gatherings can be accommodated.
The homestead is situated 63km from the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse off the Struisbaai / Elim road.